We visionize complete equality of opportunity between genders in the field of economics & a more balanced representation of genders in the economics profession.
- Recognise and increase awareness of the contributions women make in the study and application of economics.
- Encourage contributions by women economists to economic research, policy and business, in order to foster a diverse range of perspectives.
- Support women economists in their professional and personal development, thus empowering women to take on more leadership roles.
- Encourage awareness, cooperative dialogue and dynamic approaches to challenging the power imbalances which exist in the field of economics, especially between genders.
- Provide an open, transparent and cooperative platform which increases dialogue between various stakeholders in economic fields such as business, politics, academia and civil society regarding issues of equality and inclusion.
- Create an open forum for economists to discuss contemporary issues, such as inequality of opportunity and representation, as well as share experiences and advice.
- Provide accessible networking opportunities for economists, and especially women interested in economics.
- To present and discuss conceptualisations and applications of economics beyond the traditional normative framework.
- Provide skill sharing opportunities for women economists on a variety of topics, including leadership, presentation skills and dealing with prejudices in the workplace.
- Encourage mentoring relationships.
We believe in open and active collaboration to meet mutually beneficial goals. Internally, our decision-making processes are participatory, democratic and fair. Externally, we aim to cooperate with and support other organisations with goals and principles similar to our own.
We want to build a diverse organisation which welcomes and presents a variety of perspectives on economics. We welcome input from people of every gender, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ability, background and sector.
We are an organisation built to support and connect women who are interested in economics. We want to create a network which fosters assistance, advice, resources, alliances and opportunities for all women, free from judgmental or paternalistic impositions.
We operate our organisation in an honest and accountable manner, and hope to foster more transparency in the wider field of economics as well. The Women in Economics Index is one way of doing so.
We are an open and inclusive organisation. Our focus is pursuing equity for women in economics, by which we want to encourage all women-identifying people’s active participation in economic discourse. We strive to continuously recognise and reflect on our own respective privileges and to use them to engage with and incorporate others, while remaining open to constructive criticisms of our work.
We encourage our members to be actively involved with and contribute. For example, we welcome feedback, creative input, event suggestions or any other idea which furthers the aims of the initiative.
We endeavour to explore and present new perspectives and innovative approaches, with the aim of challenging and reinventing the status quo.
As an organisation, and individually, we aim to maintain respect for others' views, feelings, opinions and experiences, while also respecting our own needs and practising self-care.