To empower the next generation of young economists, the Women in Economics Initiative set up the Mentoring Programme. After months of intensive preparations, already more than 100 mentees and 80 mentors all around the world joined the first-round of the WiE mentoring programme.
empower female, non-binary economists by connecting them in a structured setting:
– mentees learn from mentors’ experience & receive (career) advice
– mentors support the next generation of (diverse) economists & reflect on own experiences.
DURATION and FREQUENCY
Recommendation: mentors and mentees set monthly meetings for around one hour each time. Each mentoring programme round lasts for 10-12 months.
EXPECTATIONS for MENTORS and MENTEES
To ensure a good experience and fruitful exchange, we ask:
Mentees:– Think about your goal for the programme beforehand
– Prepare every meeting
– Be reliable and respectful
– Reflect and document the results from the meetings
– Cherish both of your and your mentor’s time
– Share your experiences with your mentee!
– Career advice
– Professional or academic knowledge
– Personal development
– Tips for networking (and possibly introductions)
– Give honest and respectful feedback!
– You do not have to know everything 🙂
STRIKING ENROLLMENT and a DIVERSE COMMUNITY
After 5 months of intensive preparations, more than 100 mentees and 80 mentors all around the world joined the first-round of the WiE mentoring programme! Here, we hope to give you a brief overview of the participant structure.
Career stages of mentees and mentors
Current location of mentees and mentors
Matching between mentees and mentors
– 17% of the mentors identify as men
– 33% of mentees also applied as mentors
Interested in participating?
The next round of our mentoring programme will start in October 2022. All WiE members can sign up as mentee and/or mentor from Summer 2022 onwards. Sign up for the WiE newsletter or follow us on social media to get informed as soon as the applications are open.
If you have any interest, questions or suggestions, Let us know at