To empower the next generation of young economists, the Women in Economics Initiative set up the Mentoring Programme. In the first round (2021/22), more than 100 mentees and 80 mentors from all around the world joined the programme. Applications for the second round (2022/23) are now open!
empower female, non-binary economists by connecting them in a structured setting:
– mentees learn from mentors’ experience & receive (career) advice
– mentors support the next generation of (diverse) economists & reflect on own experiences.
Round 2 of the mentoring programme (2022/2023) is now open for sign-up!
Who are we looking for?
Mentees: Open to all WiE members with an economist background (or related) who identify as women, non-binary, gender non-conforming, queer or questioning. Not a WiE member yet? You can sign up for free here: https://women-in-economics.com/become-a-member/
Mentors: Everyone with an economics background is welcome. Whatever the stage of your career, we want to hear from you!
We especially welcome young economists in later stages of their studies who want to become both mentor and mentee.
- 10-months programme starting October 2022
- A kick-off session to welcome you and a graduation session to mark your achievement
- Suggest 1 hr +/month commitment
- Virtual mentoring meetings
- You decide the topics to discuss: these can be professional, academic, or personal
Places are limited, sign up today!
Sign-up closes on: 15 September 2022!
After you sign up:
– We will email you by the beginning of October if your application is successful and match you with a mentor/mentee. (If there are capacity constraints, you may be put on a waiting list and/or invited to join our next mentoring programme)
-Prior to the kick-off session, we will provide you with guidelines and best practices for making the best out of your mentoring experience.
EXPECTATIONS for MENTORS and MENTEES
To ensure a good experience and fruitful exchange, we ask:
- Think about your goal for the programme beforehand
- Prepare every meeting
- Be reliable and respectful
- Reflect and document the results from the meetings
- Cherish both of your and your mentor’s time
- Share your experiences with your mentee! (Career advice, professional or academic knowledge, personal developement, tips for networking -and possible introductions)
- Give honest and respectful feedback
- You do not have to know everything
The 2021/2022 mentoring programme: STRIKING ENROLLMENT and a DIVERSE COMMUNITY
After 5 months of intensive preparations, more than 100 mentees and 80 mentors all around the world joined the first-round of the WiE mentoring programme! Here, we hope to give you a brief overview of the participant structure.
Career stages of mentees and mentors
Current location of mentees and mentors
Matching between mentees and mentors
– 17% of the mentors identify as men
– 33% of mentees also applied as mentors
The Mentoring Team